I am alive. Really! And I have been organizing and straightening and cleaning, just as always. But I have not set aside time for blogging. I've just been so busy! July was a whirlwind of activities and deadlines and events! *whew!
At any rate, I've been thinking, lately, about all the stuff in our house, thanks, in part, to watching too many episodes of "Hoarders" and the like.... I believe I went into panic mode after every show! I had a insatiable desire to clean out every cabinet, closet and drawer!
And I will get back to blogging about the projects that I've been working on (including the decluttering, rather than just the making neat!). For now, however, I wanted to share "The Top 6 Excuses For Clutter," as presented by my favorite magazine, Real Simple! See if you can find yourself in any of these! I know I can! Hopefully, that's motivation enough for you to rethink a few items around the house! I know it's changed the way I think!
- “If I get rid of this wedding vase, I’ll feel guilty.” People feel guilty about gift items others have chosen for them that they don't particularly like, want or have use for. I know I do! And while I may not always display or regularly use these items, they ARE in my house.... somewhere. And these items are taking up space! :(
- “I think this brooch/chair/ugly knickknack might be valuable again.” I don't have too many valuables like that around our house. So this excuse does not really apply to me! But I know many people with collections upon collections.... as well as people with those few "rare" pieces that might just one day be worth something....
- “But I might need seven sleeping bags one day.” Ah, yes, the fear that as soon as you get rid of whatever it is, you'll need it! I do this most often with clothes.... ones that are just a bit too small that I believe I may one day fit into again. *sigh. But that's another story! ;)
- “I want this chartreuse muumuu to go to a good home.” Sometimes you just hang on to things because you like them and want them to be useful! Somehow. Somewhere. I have a few things around the house like this. I am not using several decorative items, for instance, but I like them. And I don't want them to just go anywhere. I'd love for someone to really enjoy and appreciate them. So they sit here. In a drawer. Or in a cabinet. Taking up more of that useful space...
- “If I put the bills away, I’ll never pay them on time.” I don't have this problem; I LOVE to put things in their proper places (even bills), but I certainly understand the "out of sight, out of mind" problem. I suppose this issue would just take some time.... you'd have to make a new habit! Determine where things go, and make a conscious decision to ALWAYS put those things in their places!
- “I want to declutter, but I can’t get motivated.” Indeed. The piles of clutter can be quite daunting. But as they say, you eat an elephant one bite at a time! The whole world does not need to be conquered in a day, and every little task helps! So, as Nike aptly says: "just do it!"
For more details on clutter as well as ideas for solutions to the above-mentioned "top 6 excuses for clutter," click HERE, and check out the Real Simple website!
Now, THAT's neat!