YEP -- I'M A NEAT FREAK!

I am a self-diagnosed neat freak. I love to clean and I love to organize. (If I could have a container, holder and/or label for EVERYTHING, my life would be complete!) And this is my brand new blog for everything NEAT!
I have a toddler in perpetual motion, a packrat daughter, a dog and a disorganized husband... and I hope to share the challenges, trials, errors, rewards and insights of being a bit "too clean obsessive" in a family that's not so in love with neatness. And I am making a promise to clean, rearrange, organize and simplify my life... and help you along the way! SO stay tuned for my journey toward everything orderly and efficient!



Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Day 19: The Plastic Lid Rebellion

There are days when I want to throw out every single plastic storage container I currently own. They seem to multiply whenever I start to run out of storage space, and they disappear whenever I need them. It never fails: as soon as I finish scooping leftover beef stew into the perfect-sized container, I start a mad hunt for the lid that fits. And, of course, that lid has absconded with other much-needed and often-used lids. Never to be found again. I liken the situation to socks. Somehow between wearing the socks on my feet and pairing them up when they're dry... they vanish into thin air. (Maybe the pairless socks are hanging out somewhere with the containerless lids?!?)

At any rate, since "kitchen" seems to be the room that needs the most organization, according to the majority of people who took my little survey, I have tackled another common kitchen problem: plastic lids. I used to keep them in a drawer, conveniently located underneath the cabinet where their counterparts were stored. But the lids would get warped and bent... and stuck.... which made them even MORE warped and bent.... and stuck. And, of course, you'd have to remove just about every lid from the drawer to find the ONE that matched whatever container you happened to choose.



So I bought a wire holder that attaches to a cabinet door (or a regular door; i.e. the pantry door). My husband had to round up some smaller screws (since the ones it came with would have gone straight through the cabinet door to the other side -- oopsie!), but it didn't take much effort to get it in the right place.



Then I stuck the majority of the plastic lids in there, where they seem to be nicely organized. I don't know yet if I am a big fan of this contraption, however. I guess it gets most of the lids out of the way. But I'm not sure if it a BIG enough improvement to the tidiness and efficiency of the storage process.



Oh, well! We shall see! Perhaps I'll do a follow-up and let you know. (Like a "2 months later" update to see if I've ripped it off the door and thrown it out the window!)

Now, THAT's neat!

1 comment:

  1. Well I think that's a "neat" idea. Anthony's grandmother sells tupperware so you can imagine how much tupperware he has :) You have inspired me to organize the tupperware!!! I'm going to do it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your neat comment!