YEP -- I'M A NEAT FREAK!

I am a self-diagnosed neat freak. I love to clean and I love to organize. (If I could have a container, holder and/or label for EVERYTHING, my life would be complete!) And this is my brand new blog for everything NEAT!
I have a toddler in perpetual motion, a packrat daughter, a dog and a disorganized husband... and I hope to share the challenges, trials, errors, rewards and insights of being a bit "too clean obsessive" in a family that's not so in love with neatness. And I am making a promise to clean, rearrange, organize and simplify my life... and help you along the way! SO stay tuned for my journey toward everything orderly and efficient!



Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 33: Speed-cleaning tips

In addition to being a neat freak, I could be dubbed a speed cleaner. I'm fast. Very fast. Of course, part of this is due to the fact that I clean so much, and so often, that it just doesn't take as much time or effort to KEEP everything clean! This goes hand in hand with a great, common-sense tip from our handy-dandy neat freak cheat sheet: do a little cleaning everyday, and you won't have it all build up to HOURS of cleaning once a week... or DAYS of cleaning once a month!

At any rate, I did a little digging on the internet today and found a fellow speed cleaner, Laura Dellutri, a Kansas City, Mo.-based cleaning expert and author of "Speed Cleaning 101." I have never heard of her before, and, no, I do not have her book (yet!?!), but I noticed a list of her favorite cleaning tips, and I thought I'd pass them along to you!
  • In each room, clean from top to bottom. Dust and clean the top shelves, mirror tops, etc., and work your way down. "Dust and dirt fall," she explains.
  • Work rooms in concentric circles, from outer to inner. (Does anyone have a theory on this one? Is this a good way to round-up the dirt and grime and keep it from escaping in to adjacent rooms?!)
  • Have all your supplies on you or near you. Dellutri uses a lightweight backpack vacuum cleaner and attaches rags and spray bottles of cleaning products to the pack's waistband. (I sometimes use a "garden" apron. I stuff the pockets with cleaning products and old t-shirts, so I'm ready for just about anything, anywhere! Or, you can dump what you need in a bucket or basket and tote it around with you. I also keep cleaning products where I need them. Bathroom cleaners in EVERY bathroom. Kitchen cleaning supplies... in the kitchen. Profound!!!)
  • Stay focused. Don't take breaks to talk to your friends, pet the dog or do laundry. "That's why it takes all day," Dellutri says. (I don't know about this one. I tend to break in between tasks. For instance, I may vacuum in the morning and clean the kitchen in the afternoon....)
  • Don't clean clean. Cleaning surfaces that aren't dirty wastes a ton of time, Dellutri explains. For instance, don't clean the entire patio door, clean just the door handle that shows fingerprints. (Wow-- this might be tough for the perfectionists out there! Of course, I tend to do this as well, especially in the dining room!)
  • Minimize products. Dellutri uses only three products: glass cleaner with disinfectant, a multipurpose cleaner (in her case, Kaboom) and an all-purpose cleanser (Dellutri likes cream cleansers).
  • Use rags. Microfiber cleaning cloths pick up more dirt and bacteria, and they won't streak surfaces, Dellutri said.


Now, THAT's neat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your neat comment!